Did you ever notice Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry service in windows task manager? Are you still wondering what is it? Should you remove it or not?
Today you will find out about the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry. Along with the Telemetry service, you will also learn some methods to fix the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk Usage issue.
So, let’s start from the basics.
What is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?
An automatic service in Windows 10, Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is used to exchange data from your computer system to Windows development team as this exchange of data helps the development team to improve the performance of windows by fixing bugs.
Some people think that it is a tool used to spy on others by collecting their data. But the company has guaranteed that the collection of data is entirely for the purpose of making improvements in the performance of windows.
But if you are not satisfied with its privacy then you can easily get rid of this service. Keep reading the article to find out more.
What kind of data Microsoft compatibility telemetry collects?
It collects and sends the following type of data to windows development tool.
- Every 30 minutes, it sends typed text from your keyboard.
- It transmits everything you say to Cortana which is the Live assistant of Microsoft Windows.
- It transmits a list of all multimedia files.
- It collects information regarding the hardware that you use.
- It also collects the details of device drivers.
As this is meant to send your data to the Microsoft development team so there are many people who are concerned about its privacy.
Fixed Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk Usage
Since it is used to collect different type of data on your computer by resulting in consuming a lot of your disk space. There are many users who want to remove it because of the privacy issue. Whatever the reason you have you can remove this tool by following some simple steps. We are sharing with you the 3 methods that you can use to remove this tool from your computer.
Method 1: Using CMD
- Click on Start and on the search field type cmd and right click on it to open the command prompt as an administrator.
- In the command prompt just paste the following code
sc delete DiagTrack sc delete dmwappushservice echo “” >
C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Diagnosis\\ETLLogs\\AutoLogger\\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl reg add
“HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Method 2: By Deleting ‘compatteller.exe ‘With Owner Rights
- Open run program and type C:Windows\System32 and click on OK
- A directory window will appear with all the list of system files that are located on Windows OS. Look for the name CompatTelRunner
- Right click on CompatTelRunner and click on properties
- Go to the security tab, locate Advanced settings that you can notice at the bottom
- At the top, click on the owner and then click on Edit
- On the Edit window, select Administrators and click on Apply and click on OK to save your changes.
- You will get a prompt to close all the properties windows. Click on OK
- You have taken the ownership of the file successfully.
Now you need to change the permission of this file before you can delete this and for that, you need to follow some more steps.
- Right click on CompatTelRunner and click on properties.
- Now you need to click on the permissions tab and from the next window choose your administrator account.
- Click on the Allow checkbox which is next to the Full Control It will give you all permissions related to that specific file. That’s all you need to delete the file
- Go back to the system32 folder and delete the file to disable the compatibility telemetry. After that empty the recycle bin as well by right-clicking on it and selecting Empty.
If still your issue is not resolved you can head to the third method hopefully it will work out for you.
Method 3: Disable compatteller.exe from task scheduler
- On the run program type msc and click on OK
- It will open the task scheduler window
- On the left, you will see a folder named Microsoft, click on it to expand.
- Now click on Windows which will further expand, look for Application Experience and click on it. It will show you some tasks
- Locate Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser task and right click on it. Then click on Disable
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is a tool used to collect and send data to the Development team of Microsoft to help improve the performance of windows. If you are not satisfied with this program you can easily disable this. In that way, it would not be able to collect the data from your computer and you can free up your disk space as well.
If you are still confused, feel free to mention your query in the comment section.
Image source: iTechGyan
For more information: Visit ATechGuides