If your webcam refuses to work with Discord, you’ve come to the right place. Read on for tips, tricks, and solutions that will get your webcam up and running in no time. Please note that most of these issues are caused by software errors or lack of updates.
There are rare cases of hardware-related issues, so be sure to test your webcam for visible damage.
Discord webcam solutions
While you still need to update your webcam drivers regularly, here are some specific solutions that may resolve your issue in Discord. Start by changing the method you use Discord. So if you are using the browser version, please download Discord for your device and vice versa.
You can also uninstall Discord from your computer and reinstall it using the link above. Also, the official Discord team suggests removing your webcam from your device manager.
When you remove your camera, you can easily reinstall it. Follow the instructions:
- Open Device Manager on your computer.
- Find your webcam, right-click, and select Uninstall device.
- Your camera will be deleted from your computer. Unplug it and plug it back in. Perform the configuration as you did before.
- Try to use your webcam again on Discord. A complete reinstallation should do the trick for the Discord part. If the problem persists, please continue to apply general fixes until your webcam starts working again.
General webcam fixes
After making sure your webcam is not damaged, try it with another app that requires a camera. The best one to try is the built-in camera app. Follow the instructions to quickly check your camera on a Windows computer:
- Make sure you have properly connected your camera unless you have a built-in laptop webcam.
- Press the Win key on your keyboard and find the Camera app in the Start menu.
- Select the Camera app and it will launch automatically.
- If the camera app works, your problem is Discord.
- If your camera isn’t working, you’ll see a screen like this:
Listen to Windows and turn off any antivirus software that might be preventing your camera from recording. If your camera is properly connected and nothing is blocking it, you may need a driver update.
Update the webcam driver
Updating the webcam driver is a walk in the park on a Windows computer with an internet connection. You can obtain the update manually using Device Manager:
- Play the Win key on your keyboard.
- Enter Device Manager in the search field and select the app in question.
- Find your camera in the device list
- Right-click on the name of your webcam and select the Update Driver option.
- Let your computer check for automatic updates.
- You can use a third-party app for updates if needed. Please note that most of them are not free. These programs automatically check for updates and allow you to update all your drivers with just one click. While it’s not free, the best options are worth the price.
You can also use Auslogics to perform a single driver update for free. Each subsequent driver update will take longer, thus extending the wait time for updates. It’s not perfect, but at least you can use it for free.
Update graphics driver
You can also try resetting your computer after updating the driver. If updating the camera driver doesn’t help, maybe updating the GPU does.
Your graphics card is responsible for displaying the image on your computer screen, so it makes sense that you are responsible for any visual errors or issues.
If you are an NVIDIA user, visit the official download page, select your graphics card series, operating system, etc. and download the latest update. If you are using AMD graphics, please visit their official drivers and support page. There you can select your graphics card and get the update you need.
Also see: How To Find Friends On Kik
Of course, you can also use dedicated graphics software from Radeon or NVIDIA, which will automatically update your graphics drivers. The choice is yours; Both manual and automated updates work flawlessly.
These are the best solutions you can use to fix your webcam issues on Discord. Make sure to check if your webcam works in other apps before drawing any conclusions. If none of the above solutions worked for you, consider restarting or updating your system.
System updates are essential, as are individual driver updates. Keep your drivers up to date and all of your devices should be working fine. Did any of these methods help you revive your webcam? Was it a hardware or software issue? Please feel free to leave a comment below in the comments section.