Now that iPhone users aren’t automatically upgrading their devices to the latest model every year or two, the longevity of the battery of the phone is more important than ever before. You might recall Batterygate of 2017. iPhone Battery and Performance website address that the battery life is the amount of time a device has left to run before there is a need to charge the device. The lifespan of the battery is the amount of time it has left before it needs to be replaced. Batterygate was about the latter one.
It turned out in 2016 and early 2017, specific iPhone models such as the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus were shutting down whenever the device was called on to handle some complex task. Apple responded by pushing out iOS 10.2.1, and that eventually stopped the phones from getting crashed. It allowed Apple to throttle the performance of the phone models that are affected. The company addressed that it had to do this because the batteries could not support certain tasks that required huge processing power. Subsequently, Apple offered a discounted battery replacement program that changed 11 million iPhone batteries approximately last year.
Reportedly, Apple has addressed the issue of battery longevity in iOS 13. CNBC reports that iOS 13, which Apple releases last week, has a feature called Optimized Battery Charging. First, you need to keep in mind that the lithium-ion batteries employed by Apple will quickly power the device up to 80% of a full charge. The remaining 20% uses a “trickle charge” that will ease the electrical current to extend the lifespan of the battery. However, if you want the phone plugged in even after the battery is 100% it will continue to trickle charge to keep the battery topped off. But this can shorten the lifespan of the battery.
Optimized Battery Charging will keep the lifespan of a battery from dropping
In iOS 13, Optimized Battery Charging utilizes machine learning so that the iPhone can remember the pattern of your daily charging. Knowing that you like to unplug the phone from the charger at a specified time, it will quickly fill up 80% of the iPhone’s battery when you plug it in and save the remaining 20% trickle charge. By not keeping the battery charging after it is fully powered up, the battery will not suffer a drop in its expected lifespan.
Apple explains the feature of Optimized Battery Charging by saying that “A new option helps slow the rate of battery aging by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged. iPhone uses on-device machine learning to understand your daily charging routine so it can wait to finish charging past 80% until you need to use it.”
“Your iPhone is designed to deliver an experience that is simple and easy to use. This is only possible through a combination of advanced technologies and sophisticated engineering. One important technology area is battery and performance. Batteries are a complex technology, and a number of variables contribute to battery performance and related iPhone performance. All rechargeable batteries are consumables and have a limited lifespan—eventually their capacity and performance decline so that they need to be replaced. As batteries age, it can contribute to changes in iPhone performance.”-Apple
Those who have installed the iOS 13 developer preview will notice the new feature turned on by default under the option of “battery settings.” This seems a pretty clear indication that Optimized Battery Charging will be on by default when the version of iOS 13 is disseminated in September. And it is quite a good thing as far as Apple is concerned; after all, it doesn’t want to be forced to throttle the performance of the 2017 and 2018 iPhones due to the batteries inside of them are no longer able to power up complex tasks.
You may also like:
- AT&T cancels pre-orders of Samsung Galaxy Fold; customers involved get a $100 promo card
- A rumored deal could do much for the development of Apple’s modem chips
- Nokia may Get Ready not One, But Two 5G Smartphones, Including a ‘Value Flagship’
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter so you can never miss an update on all the latest news from Apple, Google, Microsoft, and the Web.