Pen drive which is also known as the USB flash drive is an amazing tool used nowadays for its excellent feature to store data. Apart from helping people to carry and transfer data conveniently, it can also cause great trouble for you. Because of the fact that it can easily get corrupted and there are various reasons behind it and we are not going into that for now as we are focusing on the solutions that you can use to get rid of this issue and repair your pen drive.
We will be sharing with you the best solutions that you can try to repair your SD card or pen drive.
- 1 Repair Corrupted Pen Drive or SD Card in Simple Steps [ Quick Guide]
Repair Corrupted Pen Drive or SD Card in Simple Steps [ Quick Guide]
To repair the pen drive you don’t need any other accessory. Just follow the methods below and I hope you will find the solution that hopefully works for you.
Method 1: Change the drive letter to your pen drive
Did you notice that the computer does not assign a drive letter to your SD card? And there are some reasons for it. In a result the data that you have stored on the SD card becomes inaccessible. In this scenario, you are required to manually give a letter your pen drive and for that, you need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Connect SD card or pen drive to your computer.
- Right click on My Computer/Computer.
- Click on Manage => Disk Manage.
- Now look for your pen drive in the list and then right click on it.
- Click on Change Drive Letter and Paths. After that choose a letter for the pen drive.
Method 2: Try another USB port
It is a complete waste of time if you are trying to connect your pen drive to the same port of your computer again and again. There might be a chance that the port is damaged or there is any other software issue. So, make sure you are trying other USB ports if the one is not recognizing your pen drive.
Method 3: Use it on another PC
Sometimes, there might a chance that the device on which you are connecting your pen drive is malfunctioned and this is the reason you are facing trouble with your pen drive. So do try to connect your pen drive to another PC. This might help you and if not then keep reading.
Method 4: Drivers Reinstallation
Another possibility is that the drivers that run the pen drive are corrupted and your computer is not recognizing your pen drive. So, you are required to reinstall these drivers and to do that follow the steps mentioned below
- Right click on My PC/My Computer.
- Click on Manage
- Click Device Manager
- Double click on Disk Drives. Look for your pen drive and right click on it
- Click on Uninstall
- Click on OK
- Restart your computer after disconnecting the storage media
- Now connect your pen drive. It will detect the pen drive now
Method 5: Repair using Windows Explorer
This method is commonly used by many people to repair the pen drive. Follow the steps mentioned below
- Open This PC/My Computer
- Select and right click on the drive which is corrupted
- From the drop-down menu, click on Format
- In popup window click on Restore Device Defaults
- To start the format process, click on Start. If you want to deep scan your computer, uncheck Quick Format. This process will take time.
- A dialog box will appear which is a warning that you will lose all of your data, click on OK
- It will start the formatting process and after few seconds you will have you error free pen drive or SD card.
Method 6: Repair using CMD
CMD is a very powerful tool that is the first choice of many people. Because this method will not repair your pen drive without losing the data. You just need to enter some commands and Windows will format your corrupted SD card or pen drive.
- Connect your corrupted SD card/pen drive to your computer.
- Right click on the Start
- Click on Command Prompt. Its windows will open
- Now type diskpart and hit enter
- Now type list disk and hit enter. It will show you the list of devices that are connected to your PC.
- Type select disk [the number of your disk] and hit enter. For example select disk 1
Note: Enter the disk number correctly, otherwise you may end up formatting your internal which definitely you don’t want.
- Type clean and hit enter.
- Type create partition primary press enter
- Type active
- Type format fs=fat32 and again hit enter.
Note: Instead of fat32, you can type NTFS if you want to carry files larger than 4GB.
- It will complete the formatting process in a few seconds and do not close the CMD window until the process gets complete.
Note: The above methods are general ways to repair the pen drive or SD drive. These methods might not work if there is any other issue related to the device.
If you still face any issue regarding your SD card. Mention that in the comments we will try our best to help you out.