Apple purchased the biometric company AuthenTec in 2012 for $356 million. The following year the iPhone 5s was launched and it was the first iOS device with the Touch ID fingerprint scanner. This was a main feature for the iPhone until the 2017 iPhone X replaced the biometric scanner with Face ID. And Touch ID has been replaced with Face ID in the three models of iPhone 2018.
But there are quite a few iPhone users who prefer Touch ID instead of Face ID. Some say that the first one unlocked his phone faster and easier. For those who lack Touch ID, the good news could come back next year. According to a report by MacRumors, a Barclays analyst and his associates visited Apple’s supply chain companies recently and informed him that the iPhone 2020 will be equipped with in-display acoustic fingerprint technology. This would allow users to touch the screen anywhere to unlock the device. Earlier this year, we informed you of a patent that Apple had submitted for this technology, which converts audio signals into a coded image of the user’s fingerprint. This would involve a Touch ID version that would be faster and easier to use.
The analyst, named Blayne Curtis, wrote a research note about what he learned from visiting Apple’s supply chain and told customers that iPhones 2020 will support 5G. Furthermore, the rear cameras of these phones will have 3D scanning capabilities. Currently, the TrueDepth front camera takes care of that task and the data is used for Face ID.
Based on the above rumors, it is very likely that a cheaper and simpler Time of Flight (ToF) sensor is used on the back of the iPhone 2020. The ToF sensor sends infrared rays that bounce off the subject and returns to the phone. By tracking the time required to make this round trip, you can create an accurate 3D map.
This year there are still models to discuss, and sources in Curtis’ supply chain have revealed that all 2019 iPhones will be launched without 3D Touch. This is the feature that allows users to press an app’s icon to see quick actions, see shortcuts and take a look at their messages. Since the three iPhone 2020 models should have an OLED panel, LG will do auditions this year for some of these companies. Curtis says that the South Korean technology giant will provide Apple with 10% -30% of the OLED displays that will be used in the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 this year; The remaining 70% to 90% of OLED panels will come from Samsung.
Some Suppliers say that the iPhone SE 2 will arrive early next year
As we have seen with the renderings of the iPhone 11 this year, the analyst’s report states that the only major change in design will be the addition of the rear camera module in the upper left corner on the back of each model. Both the iPhone 11 and the iPhone 11 Max are expected to have a triple-camera setup, while the iPhone 11R will be equipped with the dual camera setup. The two OLED models will get a 33% increase in memory from 3 GB of RAM to 4 GB, while the new phones will go into production in July.
And here is a part of the analyst’s report that will surely excite a certain segment of iPhone fanatics. Curtis says that some of the suppliers that he and his team visited mention the possibility that Apple will produce an iPhone SE 2 early next year.
The phone would have the same specifications found inside the iPhone 8. This means that the device will have a 4.7-inch LCD screen with a resolution of 750 x 1334. The Apple A11 Bionic SoC must be under the hood, with a 12 MP camera on the back and a 7 MP FaceTime camera on the front.
You may also like:
- Huawei Removed From SD Card Association And Wi-Fi Alliance, Here’s What That Means For Its Future Phones
- Trump’s explanation of why he blocked Huawei from the U.S. Supply Chain
- Subscribers of T-Mobile are not happy with the way they manage Netflix’s price increase
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and never miss an update on all the latest news from Apple, Google, Microsoft, and the Web.