How to transfer music from iPhone to iPhone and copy photos between two iOS devices, syncing messages from one iPhone to another is one of the most common needs when users switch to a new iPhone. Fortunately, you can transfer messages (both SMS and iMessage) from one iPhone to another using the integrated iCloud or iTunes services. Feel free to back up your iPhone’s messages if you want to keep them safe and available elsewhere.
- 1 How To Transfer SMS & iMessages From Old iPhone To New iPhone XS/XR/X/8 Plus
- 2 Conclusion
How To Transfer SMS & iMessages From Old iPhone To New iPhone XS/XR/X/8 Plus
When we get a new iPhone, like the new iPhone XR / XSMax or iPhone X / 8/8 Plus or earlier, I think most people need to move their precious text messages from the old iPhone to the new iPhone as soon as possible. Perhaps most people have tried it in many ways, but unfortunately, it ended up failing for some unknown reason. Well, please don’t be discouraged. The transfer of messages from old iPhone to new iPhone is much easier than you think.
Below you can find some of the effective methods that you might find useful.
- Transfer Text Messages from iPhone to iPhone via iCloud Backup
- Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone via iCloud Syncing (iOS 12)
- Transfer iMessages & Text Messages from iPhone to iPhone via iTunes
Method 1: Transfer text messages from iPhone to iPhone via iCloud Backup
One of the easiest ways to transfer messages and other content from an old iPhone to the new iPhone XS / XR / X / 8 is to use an iCloud backup. First, make a backup of your old iPhone with iCloud and you can easily restore all text messages on the new iPhone without iTunes or computer with the following steps:
- Connect the old iPhone to a power source, after that turn on Wi-Fi.
- On the previous iPhone, tap Settings => [Your name] => iCloud and enable iCloud Backup (for iOS 10 and earlier versions: Settings => iCloud => Storage & backup).
- Tap on Back Up Now and wait for the backup process to complete (Wi-Fi connection is required during the process).
- Turn on your new iPhone. If you haven’t set it, tap “Restore from iCloud Backup” and Next. If you have already completed the configuration procedure, you will need to restore your iPhone: tap Settings => General => Reset and Erase all content and settings.
- Enter your Apple ID and password and all your old messages will be transferred to a new iPhone.
- Create a backup copy of all your text messages (SMS / iMessage), including attachments and images, along with other file types in iCloud.
- You can access iCloud backup on any iPhone that is signed in with the same iCloud account.
- Messages on iPhones registered with the same iMessage account always sync if both devices are online.
- Using iCloud backup may take a long time, depending on the quality of the network connection and the file size.
- If you don’t have enough space in iCloud, your iCloud backup will fail. In addition, you only receive the first 5 GB of iCloud storage for free.
- You can send messages from the old iPhone to the new iPhone only by resetting the new device.
- You need to restore text messages and other iCloud content simultaneously.
Method 2: Transfer iMessage from iPhone to iPhone via iCloud sync (iOS 12)
From iOS 11.4, Apple has also introduced iCloud syncing for messages on the Apple device, but this feature is only compatible with iMessage, not all SMS text messages. Although it has flaws, you can use iCloud sync to transfer all your iMessages on the new iPhone from the previous one.
- On your previous iPhone, go to Settings => [Your Name] => iCloud.
- Look for the Messages option and enable it to green (you need to enable two-factor authentication).
- On your new iPhone XS / X / 8, log in with the same iCloud account and make sure both iPhones are connected to the Wi-Fi network.
- Once you have finished syncing your iPhone, you can see all your iMessages from your previous iPhone in the new one.
After enabling this “Message in iCloud” feature, your message will not be included in a separate iCloud backup; and any edition or cancellation made on iMessage will be immediately synchronized on all Apple devices.
Method 3: Transfer iMessages and text messages from iPhone to iPhone via iTunes
If you want to transfer all your iMessages, as well as text messages from an old iPhone to your new iPhone without iCloud, iTunes would be the best option. In addition to the media library, iTunes is also configured to transfer all data, including texts from iPhone to iPhone. And you just need a backup of iTunes for your previous iPhone to start the transfer process.
First, you will have to create a backup of your old iPhone with iTunes:
- Connect your old iPhone to your computer via a Lightning cable, then launch the iTunes app on your Window / Mac PC.
- Click File => Devices => Backup in the menu bar to start syncing, or tap the iPhone icon to go to the Summary page and then click “Back up now”.
- Wait for your old iPhone to finish backing up your data,
- When finished, you can view the updated backup shown in iTunes or select it from the menu Edit => Preferences => Device.
Secondly, restore messages from your old iPhone on iPhone XS / X / 8:
- Turn on your new iPhone and connect it to your computer.
- If you have not already set up your new iPhone, select “Restore from iTunes backup” in “App & Data”; If you’ve set it, simply click “Restore Backup” on the iTunes Summary page.
- Select the newly created backup and confirm the action, then wait for it to complete.
Compared to iCloud backup, iTunes backup can contain more complete data from your iPhone, which is better if you want to completely move all your old iPhone data to the new one, even if it won’t keep music and TV shows on your iPhone.
- You can back up your iPhone settings and data on your computer or cloud via iTunes.
- No network connection is required when using iTunes to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone.
- As long as you have enough space on your computer’s hard drive, you don’t need to worry about space.
- You need to make a backup copy of other compatible file types along with the messages simultaneously, which may be slow.
- To transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone using iTunes, you need to do so by restoring your iPhone from iTunes backup. This way, other backup files will also be synchronized with the new device.
It is understandable that you want to transfer messages from your old iPhone to the new one, since the messages you received may be confidential or important. Hopefully, with the methods mentioned above, you have successfully transferred your precious messages to the new iPhone XS / X / 8 from the previous one.
These are the methods through which messages can be transferred from old iPhone to new iPhone. You shouldn’t be stressed out by such small problems. You can easily solve it by following the methods mentioned above.
- How to create reusable, customizable title cards using Motion 5
- Repair Corrupted Pen Drive or SD Card In Simple Steps [ Quick Guide ]
- Now You Can Force Enable Google Chrome Dark Mode On Windows 10
If you have any query feel free to drop that in the comment section and Visit ATechGuides for more information.