WhatsApp tracks your location in real-time and lets you share it with your contacts. This feature can be useful, especially when you have a meeting or if you just want your friends to know where you are.
Using live location on WhatsApp is purely optional and does not add or remove the use of any other function of the app.
However, you can also fake your location on WhatsApp to make it look like you are somewhere else. This can be useful in a number of circumstances, such as planning a surprise for friends or family, having a joke, or when you are away from home and you just don’t want anyone to know where you are.
Whatever your reason, read on to learn how to fake your WhatsApp location.
Using Live Location on WhatsApp
WhatsApp Live Location is a function that allows you to share your location in real-time for a certain period of time. This feature is end-to-end encrypted, so you can be confident that your location can only be seen by the people you share it with.
You can enable or disable live location on WhatsApp according to your need. Here is how to use it.
To use live location on Android:
- Start WhatsApp on your phone and open a chat with the person you want to share your location with.
- Select Attach (the clip icon) and select Location.
- Select Share live location, and then select Continue.
- Select the length of time you want to share your location.
- Select Continue to start sharing.
To use Live Location on iOS:
- Start WhatsApp and open a chat with the person you want to share your location with.
Tap the + button on the left side of the chat window.
- In the menu that appears, tap Location.
- WhatsApp will take you to a map. On this map, there is an option to share the location live. Go ahead and select it.
- WhatsApp will ask you how long you want to share your location live; select the amount that suits you.
- Now you share your location!
WhatsApp will share your location for the time you entered in step 3 or until you manually stop it. To manually stop sharing your location, select the Stop sharing icon in the chat window, and confirm your choice.
How to Fake Your Location In WhatsApp
Now that you know how to use live location on WhatsApp, you might want to know how to fake your location.
You have two options to do this: you can manually select a location on Google Maps, or you can use a phishing (GPS) app to do it for you.
Manually fake your location on WhatsApp
- Open a WhatsApp chat with the person you want to share your location with.
- Select Attach (the clip or the + icon) and select Location.
- Select the search bar at the top of the map and enter your preferred location.
- Manually select a location on the map.
Your fake location will now be shared with the person you are chatting with.
When I tried this it appeared on the map where I selected it, but the additional address data was incorrect and sometimes appeared blank. This is a giveaway, so it’s not the best way to fake your WhatsApp location.
Fake your position with a GPS Spoof application
The best way is to use a phishing application (GPS). We’ve covered them already on TechJunkie and they can work well in this situation. There are many apps on the Google Play Store that you can use for this purpose. Some are free, while others cost a few dollars. Find a good app that has good reviews and that doesn’t cost a lot; then install it on your phone.
For these apps to work, you need to enable Developer options on your phone. GPS will need permissions to play with GPS on your phone and this is not covered by standard permissions.
Here’s how to put it all together:
- Open your phone and go to settings.
- Select About phone and tap your build number seven times to activate it. You should see a message saying “You are now a developer!” If it worked.
- Download and install a fake GPS app.
- Allow him to access the location and give him the permissions you need.
- Please activate the app to provide a fake GPS location. Follow the steps at the top to use Live Location on WhatsApp.
After following these steps, your location should appear in the location you chose in the phishing app, and unlike manually simulating your location, there are no clear giveaways that let people know as you simulate your location.
Forging your WhatsApp location can come in handy in various circumstances, and by using the methods provided in this article, you can take control of your privacy in the fastest and easiest way possible.
Do you know of another effective way to stimulate your location on WhatsApp? Tell us below if you do!