Want to see if your friends have been on Facebook recently? Or do you want to prevent other Facebook users from knowing when you were last active on Facebook? This tutorial will show you how to find out when someone was last active on Facebook, then how to prevent others from determining when your last Facebook activity was.
Sometimes social media makes people a little impatient. Social media has only fueled the immediate response mindset that so many people have. Users who like to see the online activity status of others may experience negative feelings if they don’t get an immediate response. Although the other person may or may not be busy to reply, the sender of a message may feel discouraged, excluded, or even disrespected.
Though you can remove this option:
Some social networks have completely removed this status information, while other social networks have not yet been updated.
It is much easier, and probably healthier, to discuss your online status and how you use Facebook with your friends to set your expectations instead of just disabling your status. If you change this because you feel compelled to respond immediately to contact, setting these expectations with your friends can solve the problem immediately without affecting your friendships or changing the way you use Facebook.
You could tell your Facebook friends that even if you are shown as active or recently active on Facebook, it does not mean that you are actively using Facebook. You could explain that you often let Facebook run on your smartphone, even when you’re not actively using it. Tell your friends that it can take 24 hours to reply to messages and not take them personally.
If setting response time expectations doesn’t work, or if you generally just want to protect your privacy online, these methods will help. Of course, when used correctly, active states will inform others that they can contact you now and wait for a response.
What is “Last Active” on Facebook?
The latest active status of you and your friends will appear in various areas of Facebook. Whether you’re using an app or a web browser, go to Messenger to find out when the last time another user was active.
To find another user’s online status on an iPhone or Android, you can:
- Access Facebook Messenger by pressing the chat icon in the upper right corner of the application
- Disable all currently posted messages (if you have sent someone a message)
- See the round profile photos at the top and swipe right for more information.
- All people active on Facebook will have a green dot next to their name.
- Anyone who has been active recently will have the time instead of a green dot
If you are not using Facebook Messenger, you can see who is currently online:
- Access your news feed on the Facebook app
- Look at the top under “What do you think?“
- Each online friend will have a round profile icon with the little green dot
The same goes for the web browser. On the web, navigate to the same place and your online friends will have the green dot. Unfortunately, this only shows who is online right now, not the last active state.
You can also view the status of friends activity by:
- Visit the newsfeed page and click on “Contacts” located on the right side
- Look for the green dot for each name that indicates they are active or have been recent.
Last activity on Facebook
Facebook is constantly evolving, the latest active states, friends list, and interface often change. Currently, there are two versions of Facebook: the classic version and the new Facebook page. The new Facebook interface has only been implemented for a handful of users, so you’re probably using the classic version. The only reason we mention this is that our instructions may vary slightly depending on your version.
How to Hide the latest activity on Facebook
To protect your privacy on Facebook, there is absolutely nothing wrong with hiding your last active state. In fact, it can be very liberating if you have friends who still think that when you are online, you should listen to them.
From the Facebook application:
- Select the People tab and select Active at the top.
- Disable the cursor next to your name.
From the Facebook Messenger app:
- Open the Facebook Messenger app and select your profile icon.
- Select Availability below your image and disable it.
If you prefer to use Messenger Lite like me, the process is similar:
- Select the gear settings icon.
- Select your profile at the top.
- Select an active state.
- Switch to off.
You can also do the same in the Facebook browser version.
- Open Facebook in a browser.
- Select the little gray gear icon at the bottom of the chat slider on the right.
- Select Deactivate active state.
If you are using these three applications, you will need to follow the steps for all three applications.
Who can see the status of my activity?
Unless you’ve disabled your activity status, which we’ll talk about in a moment, anyone who’s your Facebook friend can see this status. If you have blocked someone, have blocked someone’s messages in Messenger or if you are not friends with another person, you will not be able to see the status of their activity even if it is activated.
Also see: How To Use Instagram On Your PC
Hide Facebook status with Adblock Plus
If you use a browser for most of your Facebook activities, there are a lot of extensions that you can use that can hide your online status. You can also use Adblock Plus (ABP) to block it. Since I know that many of you are already using Adblock Plus, this is a very useful setting to make.
- Select Options in ABP.
- Select the option to start typing my filter list in the center pane.
- Add “https: //*-edge-chat.facebook.com” to the list and select Save.
The downside to disabling Facebook status is that you won’t be able to see other people’s status either. I think it’s a fair compromise: if you don’t want to be seen, why should you see other people?